Monday 16 February 2015

Twite a nice day

The other day there were 4 Twite seen at Kilshanning, and as I had never seen one before I decided to go and look for them. On the way there I stopped off at Castlegregory to do some seawatching. After about 45 mins I had seen, 2 Black guillemot 3 Slavonian grebe's, 4 RBM's, 8 GND's, 2 RTD's, and a mystery Grebe, which was a bit bigger than a Slavonian with a long and very white neck, but I did not think it looked right for a Great crested grebe. After that I headed to Kilshanning to look for Twite, and on the way there I saw a field with a flock of about 70-80 Linnet so i got the scope out and spent 5 min scanning the flock for Twite but no luck there. When we got the where they had been seen we met another birder who was leaving so I asked if he had seen the Twite, he said he had seen them about 15 min ago. so we went into the field and waited, after just a few min 2 small flocks landed in the field, I scanned the first flock and they were all Linnet, then I got the scope onto the other flock and the first thing I saw was that lovely yellow bill of a Twite,  I saw that it was feeding with another 4 Twite, which after watching for a while I tried to get closer to them, and they were a fair bit friendlier than I thought they would be, showing down to about 25-30 foot


after that I ended the day by scanning to beach and finding my first Purple sandpiper of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment